ever seen anything like this before?

Talk about anything you want here.
{ESC}zeno
ESC Member

The case involves an online game, MapleStory, and some people who set up an alternate server, UMaple, allowing users to play the game with the official game client, but without logging into the official MapleStory servers.
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201204 ... -drm.shtml
WARNING: YOU ARE NOW BREATHING AND BLINKING MANUALLY
{ESC}Betty_Boop
Administrator

Sounds very familiar...and to a certain extent, I agree with the charges. You SHOULD pay for a game if you are playing it. I don't agree, however, that the modification of a game should then force more payment. Like MW2, the purchase of which is verified by Steam, is now played on FourDeltaOne servers. That is fair. The blood sucking and continued forced payments to continue with playing a game is just lame.

As the developers of MW2 discovered, the community will rebel when the financial soaking of gamers reaches a ridculous level. The community for the most part boycotted the game. I think that the greed is unfortunate as MW2 is a great game with excellent potential. It is short sighted of Activision to place these modification restraints on the community.

I am a published author. I have worked for unscrupulous publishers that think they own my very thoughts. I have had my articles reprinted without my consent and without compensation. I, for the most part, protested this misuse of my work. In this day and age, where papers that I wrote in college are now showing up with a simple Google search, I look at things a bit differently. The potential for exposure, and therefore the likelyhood of making more money, has changed my perceptions on plagerism. I like to be credited for work that I created, or research that I painstaking documented, but to expect payment for each and every idea or opinion is counterintuitive. Give credit where credit is due, and take the rest and run with it. I support Creative Commons for this very reason.

Again, I state, you SHOULD pay for a game if you are going to play it. The AlterIWNet experience did nothing but made me want to purchase MW2, which I never would have done had I not tried the game. I gladly paid for the new maps, even though I likely could have gotten them for free on the internet. I like the game. I don't appreciate getting soaked at every turn to continue to play a game. And it was the free exposure, that caused me to want to purchase the game in the first place. There is making money, there is copywright law, and then there is just plain greed.

Ok...I am stepping down from my soap box.
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." Saul Bellow

{ESC}zeno
ESC Member

maplestory is a free game
WARNING: YOU ARE NOW BREATHING AND BLINKING MANUALLY
{ESC}UDClown

I believe I have seen things like this, but for WoW.
{ESC}Betty_Boop
Administrator

Seriously??!! Free...and they sued....no wonder the Judge was so perturbed.
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." Saul Bellow

{ESC}violent-J
ESC Member

:chaingun: SYSTEM
{ESC}UDClown

Then again, now that I think of it... The user did not buy it. Therefor he/she did not have rights to the product. And they agreed to the End user agreement (or at least I'd assume there was one).