TO THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

Talk about anything you want here.
{ESC}Tug_Johnson
ESC Member

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles in hip-deep snow to school every morning ... with all their books?and holes in their shoes? uphill.....BOTH ways!
Yadda, yadda, yadda????????
And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, There was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!
But now that I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, by umm, a few years?I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.
You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!
And I hate to say it but you kids today don't know how good you've got it!
I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, We had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!! Using the Dewey Decimal System! Do you know ?bout that? Huh? HUH?!
There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter, with a pen, put it in an envelope, then you had to walk all the way to wherever the mailbox was and it would take like a week to get there! Do you know how long it took before I got my seahorses?!?!
There were no MP3's, Napsters, or iPods! If you wanted to steal music, you had to go to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself! Do you know how suspicious a 33 1/3 album looks under your t-shirt?
Or - you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! Or you?d run out of tape in the middle of the song!
We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it! If you had a wind bag in your family you could pretty much count on never hearing from the outside world.
And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, uh, guess what? You had to answer it to see who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your wife, your husband, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister! Of course, those were the good ol? days if you liked to dial a number and then just breathe when someone said hello???
We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics either! We had Etch-A-Sketch! Later we had the Atari 2600. We had games like 'Space Invaders', 'Asteroids', ?Pac Man?, and ?Tetris?. You actually had to use your Imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen???? forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!
Sure, we had cable television (after years of having only 7 channels and something called UHF if you wanted to get a Spanish station), but back then that was only m-net and there was no on-screen menu and no remote control!
You actually had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on or just be surprised! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your @$$ and walk over to the TV to change the channel. There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!
And oh nooo, we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove or eat it cold... imagine that!
If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that stupid Jiffy Pop thing and shake it over the stove forever like an idiot, OR fill an iron skillet with oil, pour in kernels, and then shake the thing ?til all was popped or the oil popped you!
That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy.
You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes way back in 1980!

Regards,
The over 30 Crowd
{ESC}Headcase

Tug I very much agree with this, despite the fact that I'm not over the age of 30.
Growing up I used to record music of the radio on cassettes because I couldn't afford CD's.
Playing basketball was an everyday thing because I didn't have enough money to afford all the fancy game system. I've only been blessed with internet for not even a year now, but now that I have it, I must admit its spoiled me. Growing up I never had the chance to Download music or play video games. I never even had cable. My dad had the dish, and it only ran in his room only (because he's disabled). I have to admit it, that when my dad pulls that "Back in my day...." thing, its very annoying, but its true, my generation is ungrateful and lazy, however if I may offer a point to wrap your mind around.
Nowadays there is more of a need to succeed, where you nearly NEED a bachelors degree to have even a decent career, where in your day (at least according to my 45 year old parents), you could get by without even a high school degree, let alone a collage degree of any kind.
I'm not disagreeing with you AT ALL Tug, just offering that.
Also, I'd love to have lived in even the 70's, because growing up wouldn't be too much different in my case, though your right, I guarantee that most of these bleach-blond preppy suburban gals couldn't live a minute without their cellphone. I'd love to have experienced the 70's and 80's, mostly for the music, but also for the sake of taking human values and life lessons more at face value.
Admin

Life was easy then , it really was,,I would not want to be a kid today,,there is to much pressure,, to be the best in everything, not that there was not back then, but its different now,,kids are spoiled these days, I see so many sitting on there ass's because they are not made to go out and find a job or find a real life. I has a good life but I did my own laundry starting at age 13, becuase I cared what my clothes looked like,,lol,,not high fashion but my mom would put my black stuff in with others and fade them!!lol I worked as soon as I could because i hated to ask for money and it was tight! I wanted to be able to stand tall and say I did this myself,,I dont see that in alot of kids today, not that there are not some out there!!

the Etch a sketch killed me!!!
Don_Andos

{ESC}Tug_Johnson wrote:When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles in hip-deep snow to school every morning ... with all their books?and holes in their shoes? uphill.....BOTH ways!
Yadda, yadda, yadda????????
And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, There was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!
But now that I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, by umm, a few years?I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.
You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!
And I hate to say it but you kids today don't know how good you've got it!
I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, We had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!! Using the Dewey Decimal System! Do you know ?bout that? Huh? HUH?!
There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter, with a pen, put it in an envelope, then you had to walk all the way to wherever the mailbox was and it would take like a week to get there! Do you know how long it took before I got my seahorses?!?!
There were no MP3's, Napsters, or iPods! If you wanted to steal music, you had to go to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself! Do you know how suspicious a 33 1/3 album looks under your t-shirt?
Or - you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! Or you?d run out of tape in the middle of the song!
We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it! If you had a wind bag in your family you could pretty much count on never hearing from the outside world.
And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, uh, guess what? You had to answer it to see who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your wife, your husband, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister! Of course, those were the good ol? days if you liked to dial a number and then just breathe when someone said hello???
We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics either! We had Etch-A-Sketch! Later we had the Atari 2600. We had games like 'Space Invaders', 'Asteroids', ?Pac Man?, and ?Tetris?. You actually had to use your Imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen???? forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!
Sure, we had cable television (after years of having only 7 channels and something called UHF if you wanted to get a Spanish station), but back then that was only m-net and there was no on-screen menu and no remote control!
You actually had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on or just be surprised! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your @$$ and walk over to the TV to change the channel. There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!
And oh nooo, we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove or eat it cold... imagine that!
If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that stupid Jiffy Pop thing and shake it over the stove forever like an idiot, OR fill an iron skillet with oil, pour in kernels, and then shake the thing ?til all was popped or the oil popped you!
That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy.
You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes way back in 1980!

Regards,
The over 30 Crowd
long live the revolution :ebiggrin:
now you look a bit like my parents,
always complaining how it was when they were young.
HELLOOOOO, THIS TIME IS PAST AND NEVER COME BACK! :evil:
and i totaly DISAGREE with being spoiled
its the the way the parents raise there children today
if they buy (or let you buy) a PC , PS 3 or whatever, who's wrong then?
they make that there kids are spoiled!!
R.I.P |EHG|Ru$tY_Na!L

Run&Gunner till I die!!
{ESC}Doc Gavage
ESC Member

Kids being driven to school is my gripe
i used to ride 14 miles to school and back and when i got home make my own tea !

we got beaten in school by teachers for not passing our spelling tests

board rubbers thrown at your head if you yawned in class

getting led by the twisted ear to something teachers wanted you to do.

FOR THE RECORD I LOVED 'Asteroids'

DOC
:coolehh: :coolehh: :coolehh:

Dont mess withe the best because the best don't mess

{ESC}Destroyer
ESC Member

{ESC}Don_Andos wrote:long live the revolution :ebiggrin:
I totally have to agree with this!

And tell me who invtented all the technology?! Right the Over-30-Crowd!

"Don't make me destroy you"
Don_Andos

{ESC}Destroyer wrote:

:cheers: :cheers:
R.I.P |EHG|Ru$tY_Na!L

Run&Gunner till I die!!
{ESC}Doc Gavage
ESC Member

{ESC}Destroyer wrote:
its the the way the parents raise XXXXthere XXXXX children today

........THEIR .......

If you spent less time on computers and more time doing grammer

lol
sorry could not resist

Doc
:x): :x): :x):

Dont mess withe the best because the best don't mess

Don_Andos

{ESC}Doc Gavage wrote:
{ESC}Destroyer wrote:
its the the way the parents raise XXXXthere XXXXX children today

........THEIR .......

If you spent less time on computers and more time doing grammer

lol
sorry could not resist

Doc
:x): :x): :x):
thats so weak :toetap: :ebiggrin:
OK i know my englisch is not good
but i don't have to speak it all day long
all englisch i know is a bit from school (or scool or whatever :ebiggrin: ) and from movies
let me see how much dutch you can.
translate the next line:

nu zie je zelf hoe moeilijk het is om een andere taal juist te leren typen :ebiggrin:
R.I.P |EHG|Ru$tY_Na!L

Run&Gunner till I die!!
{ESC}Headcase

Doc who are you to insult spelling, you can't even spell "With" right.
(Just check your sig)