HELP NEEDED

Talk about anything you want here.
HudsoN

Hi all I have put together a gaming rig but for some reason it overheats after a few minutes of testing I have tried so many things now that I have ran out of ideas on what to do next, maybe someone will be able to help. this is my rig or it will be if I can get the thing to run.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 3970X 3.50GHz Sandybridge-E Six Core Extreme Processor
Kingston HyperX Beast 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 2400MHz Quad Channel
2 x Gainward GeForce GTX 670 Phantom 2048MB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB Hard Drive
LG 16x Bluray Writer DVDRW
Asus ROG Phoebus 7.1 Gaming Sound Card
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Bitfenix Alchemy Connect Premium LED Strip
Zalman MS800 Plus Midi Tower Case - Black
OcUK Tech Lab - V12 Watercooling Kit 360
Corsair Professional Series AX1200 High Performance 1200W Modular '80 Plus Gold'

I have spent over £3000 on this gaming rig and cant get it to run without over heating. sucks :evil:
{ESC}zeno
ESC Member

THERMAL PASTE on cpu? watercooling has fluid? fans are running?
clock rate are set correctly?
what is overheating and how do you know?
WARNING: YOU ARE NOW BREATHING AND BLINKING MANUALLY
=|Vampie|NL|=

WOW, this rig looks sweet!

it shouldn't even get warm.... how is your airflow in the case? are all the fans connected?
{ESC}HvyMtlRulz
ESC Member

ESC Zeno says::::::;
THERMAL PASTE on cpu? watercooling has fluid? fans are running?
clock rate are set correctly?
what is overheating and how do you know?<<<<<<<<I second this question.....that is a serious rig, my friend..Maybe something isnt installed onto your Mobo right?. are you receiving errors?...www.cpuid.com....tells you what your pc is running at...REAL time.
"You can run, but you'll only die tired."
{ESC}Betty_Boop
Administrator

the thermal paste issue may be the culprit. You may want to reseat the water cooled unit as well. I thought I was having heat issues, but it turned out that it was the power supply. Even though it was a 750w and I calculated all the power that would be needed....the machine would randomly reset. Once I replaced the power supply with 1000w, no more problems.

The fans are an issue as well. You probably already know that you want your airflow to go one direction....
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." Saul Bellow

{ESC}ErgoProxy
ESC Member

your liquid cpu cooler could be mounted/set up wrong and there is probably little to no contact with the CPU.
I'am Ergo Proxy and I'am the agent of death
HudsoN

thanks for all your replies but after spending another 6 hours on it today and still not found what is wrong I took it into overclockers and danny had a play and done some test and it was nothing I had done wrong :) it was a motherboard issue (faulty board) the chipset on the motherboard wasn't working right which was putting stress on the i7 processor which was then causing it to overheat. the guys in the shop are going to replace the board and should have my new toy back on Thursday. once again thanks for the help and tips :)